December 2, 2019
A List of Local Festivities to Get You in the Holiday Spirit
Brand new to Nanaimo and looking for some activities to get you into the holiday spirit? Food, music, theatre, crafts & holiday cheer – fill your holiday calendar up with our list of the best festivities happening in and around Nanaimo this holiday season.
Milner Christmas Magic
Experience the magic of Christmas at Milner Gardens & Woodland. Wander lighted trails through the forest and Gardens and discover Teddy Bear’s cottage, Santa’s Den, and the Gingerbread House display. Visit the beautifully decorated Milner House and discover the Storytelling Room, a Christmas Gift Shop, Camellia Tea Room, and local musicians every evening 6-8 pm.
- When: Dec 6th-8th, 13th-15th & 18th-22nd from 5 pm – 8:30 pm
- Cost: Entry is by donation.
All aboard the Christmas Express! Ride a 1910 steam locomotive as it travels through thousands of twinkling lights across 100 acres of enchanted woods at the BC Forest Discovery Centre.
- When: Dec 6th – Dec 8th & Dec 13th – Dec 15th with the addition of Wednesday, Dec 18th through to Monday, Dec 23rd for a total of 12 nights of holiday magic.
- Cost: Adults: $14.00 | Children: $12.00 | Children 2 and under: FREE
Star Light Skate
Come out to the Nanaimo Ice Centre and skate under soft light stars and LED glow lights. A perfect evening for couples, families or a night out with friends.
- When: Saturday, Dec 14th from 7 pm – 9 pm
- Cost: Adults: $7.00 | Child: $3.75 | Senior: $5.25 | Family: $14.00
Old Time Christmas 2019
Hosted by the Ladysmith Downtown Business Association, visit the downtown stores of Ladysmith and celebrate the spirit of Christmas with horse & carriage rides, a petting zoo, face painting, music, food and more!
- When: Friday, Dec 6th from 5 pm – 8 pm
- Cost: For more information, please click here.
Vancouver Island Market
Enjoy over 200+ vendors in craft, food, liquor sales, live music, entertainment, gift shop, beer garden and more!
- When: Dec 12th-15th
- Cost: Day Pass: $2.00 | Market Pass (all 4-days: $5.00 | Children 12 and under: FREE
A Magical Medieval Adventure
A concert for the ears, eyes, and soul, Winter Harp combines velvet gowns, rare medieval instruments, percussion, poetry and song to take you on a journey of pure magic with this Christmas masterpiece.
- When: Saturday, Dec 7th at 3:30 pm.
- Cost: Adults $40 | Members $35 | Students $12.50
Mistletoe & Magic
The Vancouver Island Symphony joins three choirs in this yearly holiday concert. Carols, Nutcracker, Christmas tales, Candles and Mistletoe, experience an unforgettable festive musical performance.
- When: Saturday, Dec 14th at 7:30 pm
- Cost: For ticket information, please click here.
Yellowpoint Christmas Spectacular
Now in its 13th season, don’t miss out on this exciting holiday event featuring musical medleys of songs by Billy Joel, Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin, as well as classical hits and Christmas favorites performed by a cast of professional singers, dancers, and musicians.
- When: Thursday, Dec 9th to Sunday, Dec 22nd
- Cost: Adult: $45.00 | Students $38.00 | Group $41.00 (10+)
A WONDERHEADS Christmas Carol
Renowned theatrical Imagineers and multi-award winning company the WONDERHEADS presents the story of Ebeneezer Scrooge and his haunted Christmas Eve adventure with giant masks, whimsical puppets, and theatrical invention. Be prepared to laugh, cry and stand in awe to this wonderful and original performance.
- When: Thursday, Dec 19th to Dec 22nd
- Cost: Adult: $38.00 | Youth $26.00