Have You Heard About the Construct Your Future Program?
Are you looking for a career in construction? Curious what it’s like to be a general contractor? Always wondered about construction management? Then you need to check out Construct Your Future (CYF), an 8-week program sponsored by The Vancouver Island Construction Association. Construct Your Future is a fantastic program that provides an opportunity for youth and adults to learn about the many career paths available in construction, including the roles, responsibilities, and safety requirements. Oh, and the best part, not only is the course FREE but you get paid to participate and learn about this dynamic and exciting industry!
- Explore over 100 construction trades.
- Earn up to $1400.00 per month while you train.
- Receive hands-on training on real work sites.
- Get job search support and interview skills training.
- Everything you need to succeed is supplied for you, including, boots, work pants and PPE, and financial supports for food, internet, transportation and more.
- Make connections with employers in the industry and receive help finding long-term employment with a local construction company.
Over the course of the program, you’ll receive invaluable construction knowledge and certification to help you join the industry, including:
- Construction terminology and basic trades math.
- Hands-on tool training.
- Introduction to blueprint reading and site surveying.
- Fall Protection Training Certificate.
- Construction Safety Training System Certificate.
- Confined Space Entry Certificate.
- Ladder Safety Certificate.
- WHMIS 2015 Certificate.
- Workplace Violence & Harassment Certificate.
- Occupational First Aid Level 1 Certificate.
Recently, Westmark had the pleasure of joining other businesses in the graduation of the Construct Your Future program by hosting the Speed Nail Challenge in VICA’s Amazing Construction Race. In the Speed Nail Challenge, teams put their hammer skills to the test and were challenged to hammer 10 nails as fast as they can for prizes. Other contests included measuring pieces of wood the fastest, giving a 5-minute speech to the VICA director, and many more.
The Construct Your Future program is offered through both Vancouver Island Construction Association’s Victoria and Nanaimo offices. If you’d like to learn more or wish to apply to the next program, visit www.vicabc.ca/construct-your-future/
We’re hiring! If you would like to be part of our next multi-family, residential or commercial construction project, visit our Careers page to view our current openings. We look forward to meeting you!