Custom Home Building – How Long Does It Take?
Last updated: March 9th, 2018
When people are moving forward with their building project, one of the top questions on their mind is: “How long will it take to build?” Each and every project is different, and there’s no set-in-stone timeline. However, we’re happy to share a rough building timeline with you to give you an idea of how long each phase of a standard project will usually take.
Planning Your Building Project (1-2 Months)
Before we start pouring the physical foundation, we need to set the groundwork by completing the Planning phase. Thorough planning of a project will better ensure its success and smooth execution of the process going forward. As well, there are items that must be completed in order for building to start. We have found this phase typically takes 1-2 months, depending on the timeliness of client responses and project scope. During the Planning phase, we will:
- Conduct initial site meeting with Project Manager
- Secure build spot with Letter of Intent & deposit
- Select Architect & Interior Design team
- Geotechnical & structural assessment
- Create build timeline & selection schedule
Building Design (1-2 Months)
Once the initial planning is completed, we will move into the Design phase. During this phase, we work with you, your architect, and designer to create your building plans. Depending on the number of revisions and complexity of your build, this phase can take 1-2 months for a standard project. Larger building projects – or those requiring additional property or building assessments – can take longer. During the Design phase, we will:
- Draw up house construction plans with Architect & Interior Design team
- Collaborate with Interior Design team to select finishes
- Coordinate with suppliers & order building materials
- Assemble contractor team based on project specifications & custom needs
Construction (6-8 Months)
Your plans are approved and all assessments are completed – we are ready to start building! For most home building projects, construction takes between six and eight months. For multi-family projects or commercial builds, this timeline can be a bit longer, depending on the size of your project. The Construction phase includes the following:
- Site preparation (clearing, excavating, rough grading, rock breaking, erosion control)
- Obtain necessary building permits and appraisals
- Exterior construction (foundation, framing, roofing, plumbing & electrical, windows & doors, grading & landscaping)
- Interior construction (insulation & drywall, cabinets & trim, painting, floors, hardware & fixtures)
- Final building inspection & walk-through
- Turn over keys & documentation (operation manuals, warranty certificates)
- Start of New Home Warranty period
- Move in & make your house a home!
Depending on the size and complexity of your building project, these timelines can certainly vary. We also require timely decision making from the client in order for these timelines to be realized. If you would like to help expedite the process, we strongly recommend finding a good interior designer to work with! A designer can help narrow down choices for you and will help you stay on top of timelines. Having the right team is always key to a successful build.
Contributor: online loans