6 Reasons Why Central Vancouver Island Is The Best Place To Build Your Dream Home
September 16, 2017
Nearly all of us have spent a significant amount of time thinking about our dream home in our mind: the features, the colours, the floorplan, the special details and finishes that would make it uniquely our own. You have a clear picture in your mind of what you want it to look like, but what about where you want your home to be?
Vancouver Island is a great place for your custom home! There’s a reason that it is one of the most popular places to retire in Canada. Its moderate climate, laid-back lifestyle, and abundance of natural wonder makes it an ideal place to call home. Here are six more reasons why you should consider Vancouver Island for your dream home.
1. Growing population means a growing market.
A growing market translates to equity and a favourable resale value. As housing costs are astronomical Vancouver, more and more people are considering Vancouver Island as a place to put down roots. Land will be significantly less expensive, while still offering the opportunity for growth. Nanaimo is the 2nd largest city on the Island, and it is estimated that by 2041, the population of the Nanaimo area (will grow by 32%. This estimation is supported by a 27.8% increase in housing starts, especially when compared to 4.1% for BC as a whole.
2. Easy and quick transportation.
There are four major airports on Vancouver Island, including an international airport in Victoria. The Nanaimo Airport is 18km out of town, and while it is not international, but easily connects to Vancouver for international flights. Comox Valley Airport is also 1.5 hours away. Access to downtown Vancouver is a mere 20 minutes by seaplane, and two hours by BC Ferries.
3. Countless amenities and recreational opportunities.
The central Vancouver Island region has so much to offer you, whatever your interests. Nanaimo has a historic downtown core, and there is extensive natural beauty, scenery, and experiences – hiking, caving, fishing, kayaking, boating, old growth forests, and beaches. There are countless places for freshwater and saltwater fishing, crabbing, deep sea and shellfishing and more. If you have a boat, there’s over 20 marinas and harbours just in the area, with an average rate of $8-10/foot annually. Here are a few of the other recreational experiences:
- Cathedral Grove in MacMillan Provincial Park
- Neck Point & Pipers Lagoon
- Englishman River Falls
- Westwood Lake
- Departure Bay Beach
- Harbourfront Walkway
- Tribune Bay
4. An abundant lifestyle for you to savour.
Rated the Best Island in Canada by Travel & Leisure magazine, Vancouver Island has an enviable lifestyle. Extraordinary restaurants, galleries, gardens, and hotels dot the area, and many small shops and vendors selling locally created products. Lots of history in the area – even close to two castles in Victoria! Vancouver Island is known for its dedication to sustainability – anything that you could want and need can be found here, from local meats, seafood, produce, artisan goods, and even seaweed! Just a tiny selection of some of the local goods to taste:
- Friedrich’s Honey
- Canadian Kelp Resources
- Cedar Farmer’s Market
- Nesvog Meats
- Springford Farm
- Little Qualicum Cheeseworks
- Alderlea Farm Cafe
- Merridale Cider
- Averill Creek Vineyard
- White Sails Brewing
- Fanny Bay Oysters
5. Ample land ready for building.
Along with an abundance of housing options at approximately ¼ the cost of Vancouver and ⅓ that of Victoria, Nanaimo offers many affordable, picturesque properties for sale. As of September 25th, 2017, Realtor.ca had posted a total of 1422 vacant lots for sale on Vancouver Island. The Lower Mainland has only 625 available, which is less than half the number of that on Vancouver Island. Just a few of the beautiful properties available:
- 0.47 acres in The Foothills, Lantzville for $269,900
- Fully serviced corner lot with views in Monterey Ridge for $274,900
- 6.38 acres with ocean view in Nanoose Bay for $629,000
- Waterfront in Stephenson Point for $695,000
- 0.54 acre waterfront in North Nanaimo for $869,000
6. A quality custom home builder.
If you are going to have your dream home built, you want to have it done right. Below is an overview of some of the characteristics that you want to look for in your custom home builder:
- Industry experience: Look for a home builder who has a lot of experience in building custom homes – they have a large portfolio, quality photography, recognition for their work, and partner with other industry professionals. For example, Westmark has 30 years of industry experience, an extensive portfolio of custom homes, and has received many awards for our builds.
- Extensive experience building in the area: A portfolio filled with beautifully captured photography can offer a great first impression, but doesn’t always do a project justice. As well, every area in the country has different climate and topography, which require special consideration and knowledge. Check out the company’s portfolio and find out where they have done builds; then, take a drive by to get a sense of the style and quality of their work first-hand. Westmark is based in Nanaimo, and we call this area home. Nearly all of Westmark’s projects have been completed in the Nanaimo region.
- One point of responsibility/project manager: It can be a huge hassle for you to keep track of multiple contractors, and get a clear understanding of your project and its progress. What you want is someone who can manage the entire construction process. Westmark recognizes that your home build is a huge investment, and our professional team will handle every aspect.
- An established approach that thoroughly involves you in the process: This is your home, and you should always know what’s going on. Westmark is dedicated to your satisfaction and keeping you informed at every step.